Australian Senior Snooker Association Inc. Australian Senior Snooker Association Inc.
   Home | Forum | Register | Active Topics | Search
Username:
Password:

Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Main Board
 Mixing Pool with Snooker
 New Topic    Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cushionz
Associate

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2022  Reply with Quote
I always thought that pool is for pool players and that one should not confuse a game that can be played by anyone with a game that requires a lot more skill.

Ok, I see a lot of snooker players playing in money comps for pool. How they can do that and still play good snooker is amazing because there has always been a belief among the snooker elite that switching balls of different sizes and weights can only harm one's game.

Pool is popular and snooker is not so popular. Nothing has changed there but it may be noticed more since the advent of web access from a pocket device. But aligning the different games has got be asking for trouble... and confusing.

How it gets confusing is that snooker has a world set of rules and so does billiards. But in other countries they refer to pool as billiards and also play different rules for Carom and 3 cushion billiards without pockets. As for pool rules, I haven't counted how many different sets of rules there are for pool lately, but some countries have several different formats. For example the game of pool in USA is nothing like what we play in Australia... the tables are much smaller, the balls are a different size and weight, the pockets are huge and there is no nap on the table cloth... unlike that used worldwide for snooker and billiards.

Addicted
Associate

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2022  Reply with Quote
I would have thought that different ball sizes and weights should be avoided. I wonder if the players that do well in pool and snooker use a sighting technique that lends itself to such variations?
Go to Top of Page

Howie
Associate

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2022  Reply with Quote
Ooh, I don't often come across mention of "different sighting techniques". Can anyone elaborate?
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Australia
59 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2022  Reply with Quote
A discussion on sighting techniques can now be found in the Coaching Clinic section.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic    Reply to Topic
Jump To:
© 2024 Australian Senior Snooker Association Inc.     Home | Champions | Contact | Privacy | Rankings | Results | Terms Go To Top Of Page